Now that I’m all moved into the new place (yippee!), I decided it was time to start nesting (i.e. time to use that oven and get the kitchen smelling like coconut). One of my intentions for this year is to make my own granola and last week, during a fetching cleaning supplies errand, I also picked up oats and honey in bulk from Costco. Last night began my granola DIY-ing and lucky for me, I found a mix-and-match ingredients BuzzFeed article (honestly, this was the best BuzzFeed article I’d read yet!) so that I could truly make it my own.
Here’s the recipe I concocted:
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sprinkling of salt
- 1 cup thickly shredded coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT the raisins. Stir til your arm gets pleasantly sore!
- Spread out ingredients in a baking sheet evenly (make sure the baking sheet has tall-ish edges).
- Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take out and stir oats.
- Put back in the oven at 300 degrees for another 20 minutes (50 minutes total baking time).
- Let cool COMPLETELY in the pan.
- Break up the granola with a spoon/spatula before returning it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add raisins and stir evenly.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Enjoy with greek yogurt, almond milk, plain, or a base of your choice!