I’m having a real first teacher summer…and am loving it! Besides producing online courses, working on a grant, and doing grad school online (I don’t like to be bored, okay?!), I’ve been traveling a bunch to see loved ones + friends. I’ve prioritized doing yoga or some form of yogic-like exercise every day this summer and the results are in in the form of all the studios I’ve visited across the country. That, and I’ve even re-discovered and just plain discovered some studios in New York that are, well, not Laughing Lotus. Here’s where I’ve been practicing this summer. It’s a long post because I am very aware that it has been a very long time since I’ve posted! Let’s go East to West, shall we?
New York, New York
5 Pillars Yoga
- Location: 92nd St + Madison Ave
- Vibe: Upper East Side
- Phenomenal Teacher(s): David Regelin
- Asana Style: straightforward slow flow
- Intention: Move with intention, steadiness, strength, and from a place of light-heartedness too.
- Location: 11th St + University Place
- Vibe: NYU (a great locale for students to go to)
- Phenomenal Teacher(s): Domenic Savino
- Asana Style: straightup vinyasa
- Intention: A safe environment to explore the tried-and-true practices of yoga.
- Location: 19th St between 5th + 6th Avenues
- Vibe: GLITTER
- Phenomenal Teacher(s): Sheri Celantano, Deb Langley, Kenneth Frisby
- Asana Style: Lotus Flow
- Intention: Move like yourself…and sprinkle glitter all over!
- Location: 17th St + 8th Avenue
- Vibe: Hard.Core.
- Phenomenal Teacher: Abby Galvin
- Asana Style: Katonah
- Intention: Fuse Taoism with the bodily practices of yoga to open everything up in an extremely intentional way.
New Haven, Connecticut
- Location: 49 Orange St
- Vibe: Get Your Yoga, No Strings Attached
- Phenomenal Teachers: Kami + Ed Mikelis
- Asana Style: Vinyasa Flow
- Intention: Come in, get your yoga, open up your body, get a workout, and then move on with your day feeling refreshed.
Sconset Yoga Club
- Location: 18 Baxter Road
- Vibe: Move + Be Still in the Sun
- Phenomenal Teacher: Jenavieve Varga
- Asana Style: YogaWorks
- Intention: Practice yoga in the beauty of the sunlight, scenery, peace + quite of Nantucket, MA. It’s evident that the whole operation was created with a lot of heart by ladies who grew up spending summers on the island and now teach yoga in NYC most of the time.
Aspen Shakti Shala
- Location: 422 E Cooper Avenue
- Vibe: Movement = Pleasure
- Phenomenal Teacher: Jamie Butemeyer
- Asana Style: Vinyasa
- Intention: Take practice seriously + lightly at the same time.
- Location: 345 15th Avenue E
- Vibe: Fast + Fierce
- Phenomenal Teacher: Nancy Hwang
- Asana Style: Lotus Flow
- Intention: Lose + find yourself at the same time…through movement.
- Location: 44th + Belmont
- Vibe: Dedicated + Full
- Phenomenal Teachers: This time around, I took class with Linnea Solveig.
- Asana Style: vinyasa with heart
- Intention: Feel a sense of complete spiritual flow + fullness while practicing in a room filled to the brim with like-minded people.
- Location: 13th + NW Hoyt
- Vibe: Sheer Awesomeness
- Phenomenal Teachers: Alex + Kristi Cole (yes, they’re a father-daughter pair)
- Asana Style: joyful flowing cathartic vinyasa flow (yes, I am being redundant on purpose – it’s just that good!)
- Intention: Move so fast and with such flow that you forget what you’re feeling when you walk in the door and walk out with those feelings processed + feeling good!
Love Hive Yoga
- Location: 1847 E Burnside St
- Vibe: Yoga w. Heart
- Phenomenal Teachers: Jessica Garay, Audra Carmine + Roger McKeever
- Asana Style: Vinyasa + Hatha
- Intention: Move straight from your heartspace + while doing so, stay in touch with what your body needs + wants.
- Location: 30th + Division
- Vibe: Fierce + Kickasana
- Phenomenal Teachers: Chase Connolly + Tori Greising
- Asana Style: lotus flow
- Intention: Provide a dance-like flow that allows students to lose themselves in movement + the themes it’s paired with.
Written on the subway on my way to Laughing Lotus because hey, hOMe is where the glitteriest OM is!