As I believe I’ve been making clear on the blog, 2017 is a year of major travel for me, for so many reasons. There’s something special that can happen in your mid-twenties, I’m learning. Me, and many of my friends, have this lingering feeling that we are untethered for what may be the last time for a long time. Untethered to other people, a specific geographic location, future plans, a long-term job, the list goes on. We have this burning desire to make the most of this time that we are not permanently accountable to others, and many of us are choosing to use that time to see the world.
While I’m still at my day job, I am doing a lot of weekend trips. Recently, I’ve been to Pennsylvania, Mexico, and this weekend to Chicago. I usually leave from work and have to pack accordingly. I have a tendency to over-pack (whoops!), which creates a lot of unnecessary wardrobe confusion once I arrive. Hence this post where I hope to aggregate good packing list resources, as well as my own personal – but customizable – weekend getaway packing list.
- SoulCycle Uniform or Yoga Outfit. I have one complete outfit made entirely of SoulCycle apparel. I call it my SoulCycle uniform (branded sports bra, tank top, leggings, socks, and headband) because I only wear it to SoulCycle and nowhere else. This saves a lot of time when I’m looking for exercise clothes. If you’re going the yoga route, I suggest that you bring one pair of leggings and one top with a built-in sports bra.
- Going-Out Outfit. What is an outfit (only one!) that you can wear from dinner to drinks?
- Flats. Make sure that they are easy to walk in!
- Boots. Again, make sure that they are easy to walk in (and relatively waterproof in case it rains).
- Daytime Outfit. Jeans, a shirt, and sweater are perfect for this (i.e. the layering effect).
- Pajamas. I suggest light ones (a t-shirt and shorts).
- 3 Underwear. The necessities.
- 3 Pairs Socks. The necessities.
- Bra(s). One white and one black is usually a good rule of thumb.
- Packed Toiletry Case. I personally love this sprinkly Kate Spade one.
- Jacket. Suggestion: Wear it on the plane!
- Small Purse. Something that can hold a wallet, keys, and cell phone, but no more (oh, and don’t forget to pack those things either).
- Kindle. Make sure it’s charged and connected to WiFi before you go so that all your reads can download properly!
- One Pair of Earrings. Make the colors fairly neutral (I like hoops for this!) so that they can go with a variety of outfits.
- Sunglasses. You never know and one of the worst feelings is being without sunglasses when everyone else is squint-free.
- Headphones. Seriously, these are a travel game-changer…especially if they’re noise-canceling!
- Backpack for Main Carry-On. I love this one from State Bags.
- Journal. Documenting is so important when on the road!
- Pens. Pack only two or three to be a minimalist.
- Planner. I love, love, love my Lily Pulitzer planner when it comes to traveling because it has an entire gorgeous section for “Escape Plans,” as they call them. These pages, as you can see above, have spots for packing lists, itineraries, and activities / excursions. Those pages are where this blog post idea originated!
- Cell Phone. I’ve been using the Netflix Download feature a lot to pre-load my phone with some TV and movies pre-travel.
- Chargers. I can use the same one for my Kindle and Beats headphones, and I pack a mini iPhone charger.
- Deodorant. Shove it in there!
- Small Fragrance. I got a pack of mini fragrances from Anthropologie a while ago and they’re a game changer; I can just grab one and go!
- Tea or Beverage Mix. I love Bengal Spice Celestial Seasonings teas and Nibmor hot cocoa mixes.
- Snacks. My go-to’s are Rx and Lara bars and pre-portioned bags of almonds.
Here are some of my favorite blog posts on weekend packing lists: